High Lights

StarBuzz Online - Toronto

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tia’s talk with Yasmin Virani, Actor - Writer - Director









Where were you born and raised? Canada.
Born in Vancouver, but raised in Toronto.

How do you think the environment you were in and your surroundings shaped what you do now? Well,
I think being brought up in a South Asian family can be tough.
In my household there was very little communication. As a family we loved one another, but we didn’t really know each other. I was automatically drawn to the Arts because it was an outlet for me. It was a way for me to express my thoughts and feelings, so becoming an artist was actually a natural progression for me.

What led you to realize this is what you wanted to do?
I remember the first time I ever went on stage, as a performer, I think there’s an awareness that happens. For me that was the defining the moment, the realization that I am a part of something much bigger in the world, even as a child I felt that.

How do you think you are impacting the South Asian community?
The South Asian Arts community in Canada is actually quite small, and being a minority community, I think it’s important that we represent ourselves in an honest manner. I have always done that with all of my work. In fact I do more than honesty, I push boundaries and I think one sees the impact of their work after a show, when someone tells you that you have, “moved” them, or they somehow see themselves differently - that’s real impact, because that’s change.

What are you currently working on?
I am actually going on tour this year with my one - woman show, entitled ANAND (bliss, peace, happiness). Be sure to check out my website at: www.yasminvirani.com for our Toronto dates!

What do you have in mind for the near future?
Well, after my tour, I will be working on my first Bollywood film which I am extremely nervous and excited about!
Careerwise what is the one thing that has been very special to you? Hmmm, this is tricky, but I would have to say my new play, Anand. I wrote it during a phase in my life when I was struggling with the idea of loss. Everyone’s lost someone they love in life and I think it’s easier when you’re the one that who’s got your heart broken in bargain, because to some extent, it’s easier to move on. But what happens when it is your fault and you are to blame? How do you move forward then? How do you forgive yourself? That’s what Anand’s about and it’s semi - autobiographical! So it’s definitely special, because I am not sure if I will ever have the courage to be that honest again.

Do you have any particular project you have wanted to work on or be a part of? So many!
There are so many talented people in our industry! I’m a huge fan on Mira Nair - absolutely love and adore Mr. Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s work, Visal Bhardwaj, the list goes on and on!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter

Creating Unity, Cutting Across Communities