High Lights

StarBuzz Online - Toronto

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tia's Talk with Sheniz Janmohamed : A Canadian writer, poet and spoken word artist to be watched



Sheniz Janmohamed is a freelance writer, poet and spoken word artist. She recently completed her Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing at The University of Guelph, and was mentored by GG nominee and National Bestelling author, Janice Kulyk Keefer. Her thesis is a collection of essays and poems reflecting her triune identity as a Canadian, South Asian and Kenyan. She has also completed a manuscript of ghazals in English, and is collaborating with international dub/electronica artists on numerous musical/spoken word projects. She has written for South Asian Living magazine, City Masala Magazine and Anokhi Magazine. She is the President and Founder of Ignite Poets, an spoken word initiative that allows young poets and spoken word artists to work together for peace and partnership. She recently travelled to Kenya to work with Kenyan poets on a collaborative show that raised money for Hawkers Market Girls Centre in the slums of Nairobi. She has performed at various venues across Toronto, including the Strong Words Reading Series, Toronto Poets’ Saturday Night Love, The Mini Shebang High School Tour and Masala! Mehndi! Masti!

Where were you born and raised?


I was born in Toronto, Canada, and raised in Scarborough and Markham
.


How do you think the environment you were in and your surroundings shaped what you do now?

Being raised in multicultural Scarborough and moving to an area of Markham that was primarily white when I was growing up was a big switch. I was the only brown girl in my school and got teased and picked on. These experiences forced me to I identify more with my culture and identity instead of trying to hide it or being ashamed about it. My cultural heritage and South Asian identity plays a large role in my poetics. From the time I was 3 years old, I’ve been traveling to Kenya, the birthplace of my parents and grandparents. Kenyan culture has influenced my art and my thinking deeply—being in a country where poverty is commonplace gives you a completely different perspective on life.


What led you to realize this is what you wanted to do?


When want became need.


How do you think you are impacting the south asian community?

I hope I’m inspiring the younger generation to nurture their artistic side, and to gain an appreciation for poetry, literature and performance. Artists are vital to keeping a cultural heritage alive, and young artists can help to evolve that cultural heritage. I also hope that young South Asian women feel inspired to empower themselves and maybe some of them will find their strengths on the stage/page. If I can do it, they can do it too.



What are you currently working on?

A half written Sufi-inspired novel, an article about my recent trip to Kenya (I went on behalf of my initiative, Ignite Poets, to work with poets and musicians and raise money for Hawkers Market Girls Centre in the slums), a million performance pieces and ideas, and one BIG project that I can’t talk about just yet. J



What do you have in mind for the near future?

Doing what I love and having enough support to continue to do it.



Careerwise what is the one thing that has been very special to you?

There are so many moments in my career that have been special. When I interviewed Nitin Sawhney, he asked me to perform one of my spoken word pieces in the hotel lobby. It was scary but liberating. At that moment, I realized at that there is no room for fear- you just have go for it!

I’ve also had the opportunity to interview and work with so many artists, authors, actors and musicians. I’ve learned a lot about art from them.



Do you have any particular project you have wanted to work on or be a part of?

I have many things I’d like to participate in and work on- I’d love to be part of the Jaipur Literary Festival in 2011. That is one of my main goals right now.


The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's NestSheniz's links:

www.myspace.com/shenizpoetics

4 comments :

  1. Can you allow me to advertise my online business in your blog? it will be a great help if say yes. thanks a lot!
    You helping a lot of PPL thanks for your golden ideas about home based jobs.

    I would like to share the secret of profit online
    Learn How I Earn $50 to $250 Every Day!

    www.onlineuniversalwork.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this nice post 111213

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for this nice post 111213

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for this tips

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter

Creating Unity, Cutting Across Communities