High Lights

StarBuzz Online - Toronto

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tia's Talk with Nandita Das – Actor, Activist & now a Film Director- A STARBUZZ exclusive

Nandita Das – An exclusive chat with Tia Virdi of StarBuzz


“I was never excited with the typical Bollywood heroine image. This may have been because I didn’t grow up watching mainstream films. It’s like telling a vegetarian that this beef steak is really great, and it wouldn’t matter. It won’t tempt you because you are a vegetarian. So all the money and fame doesn’t tempt me, and I’m a vegetarian in that sense.”

Nandita Das was visiting Toronto for the retrospective of her films during the South Asian Festival Mehandi Masala Masti at the Queen Elisabeth Theatre at CNE grounds. Critically acclaimed actress and social activist, Nandita Das shot to international fame with her
controversial role in Deepa Mehta’s movie Fire. Other films that were shown during the festival were, Earth, Maati May, Shubho Mahurat, Bawander, Hari Bhari, Amal. StarBuzz had an exclusive meeting with one of the most talented actresses of our times.

Nandita comes across as a person of a lot of substance and very articulate and clear in her thought and action, a person with a solid purpose in life.


What inspired you to join films?

This is a long and very old story. I did my masters in Social Work and I was working with NGOs. It was completely by accident that I met Deepa Mehta. And one thing led to another. Acting till today is more like an interest, which is the reason I still live in Delhi and not in Mumbai the hub of Bollywood film industry. I also do films in different languages, because there are stories and talent in other parts and not just the big cities.


What language movies have you done so far?

I have done 10 languages, including Bengali and Marathi and I have done 30 films.


Is there a film close to your heart?

I would say not yet. I mean there are many that are close to my heart. But in terms of an absolute favorite project, it’s still yet to come.


Your father, Jatin Das, is a renowned artist of India. Do you think that the artistic environment at home played a role in your decision to go into acting?

I think it did help. Films are a collaborative art, like visual and performing art mixing together. So I think growing up in an environment where I watched dance and music performances, watched theatre and went to exhibitions from a very early age, probably created an aesthetic and artistic sensibility, that has been with me in person and also in the choices I have made. I hardly ever watched any movies when I was younger with my parents, so cinema never really played a big role in my formative years.


As a social activist, what are your future endeavors?

An activist is a much bigger term, even though I am called an actor activist. But both things I don’t really do full time. I do it more as a concerned citizen. I am doing much more advocacy work. Before I started acting I used to do more grassroots level work. I take
issues to people, whether it’s a talk at university, workshops, with students or teachers. I have been to MIT and Cornell.. I am not with one particular body but I support a lot of genuine bodies. I hesitate to name any because I don’t want to leave any out. I would like NRIs to be more involved by engaging in social projects in India.


Do you ever think of breaking into the commercial film scene?

If I wanted to I could have done it a long time ago. There were many offers after Fire. I was never excited with the typical Bollywood heroine image. This may have been because I didn’t grow up watching mainstream films. Its like telling a vegetarian that this beef steak is really great, and it wouldn’t matter. It won’t tempt you because you are a vegetarian. So all the money and fame doesn’t tempt me, and I’m a vegetarian in that sense.


What are your future plans?

I have just directed my own film. Its’ called Firaaq. “Firaaq” means separation and quest. The film is about how violence impacts human relationships, especially communal violence, how it has divided people and how separation develops in our minds and in hearts. It is based in India, it’s a multiple story. The cast includes, Naseeruddin Shah, Paresh Raval, Raghubir Yadav, Deepti Naval and Sanjay Suri. It will hopefully release by October.


What do you like about Toronto?

I think it s a very friendly city, there is something very genuine about it. There is a warmth that people exude. It’s a cosmopolitan city and a nice melting pot. Which is good because it makes you more open and less prejudiced.

-Tia Virdi
-Pictures by Ben Girn

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter

Creating Unity, Cutting Across Communities