High Lights

StarBuzz Online - Toronto

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Tia's Talk with SHWETA SUBRAM Singer || Performer || Songwriter


Watch for Shweta on March 12 this month. She is performing for Canadian Music Week.
StarBuzz Weekly-

Where were you born and raised?

I was born and raised for 17 years in the City of Dubai

How do you think the environment you were in and your surroundings shaped for what you do now?

I have been raised in the city of Dubai which is a hub for South Asians. About 85% of the expatriate population is South Asians. I was always surrounded by Indian music and culture. As a kid, my parents got me involved in many different activities such as indian classical music, dancing, painting, swimming. Since I was the only child of my parents, their expectations from me were high and they always wanted me to grow up as a well-rounded person. Also, both my parents' families are involved in music so I always had the support and encouragement to do well in the field of music.
What led you to realize that you wanted to be involved with music and wanted to be singers and musicians?

My grandmother always told me that she wanted to be a singer. But she came from a strict, traditional, conservative family, so even though she got the opportunity for playback singing she wasn't allowed
to pursue it. I always knew that she would love to see her dream come true through me. So I decided to get into an uncoventional career like music and pursue it further. I knew I had it in me to become one when I won the first North American wide Sangam Kala Group competition in Toronto and was awarded a ticket to India to perform with the creme de la creme of the industry.

 How do you think you are impacting the South Asian community around the world with your talent and art?
All my songs have a message to it. I recently had my song featured in a Canadian film called Bas! Beyond the Red Light. A very impactful song that talks about 14 girls that were forced into the dirty world of trafficking and prostitution and how they were pulled out of it by the Rescue Foundation of Canada and were trained to become strong/confident girls and stand up for themselves. This song was produced by Tarun Nayyar of Delhi2Dublin. I associated myself with this song. Being a woman I felt a sense of responsibility to spread awareness of this social issue of human trafficking and I thought, 'why don't I do it through a song'?

What are you currently working on?
I am working on my own album with some awesome producers in Canada. Two of my tracks - Jee Le (Live Life) and Ajooba (Your Wonder) have been completed with Parichay. I have just completed writing three more tracks with JOSH and in the process of writing a 4th one.

What do you have in mind for the near future?
Firstly I am in talks with a couple of record labels so that I can release my album. Also talking with other artists and discussing possible collaborations. My long term goals would be singing and composing for Bollywood films.

Careerwise what is the one thing that has been very special to you?
The people I meet and the people I work with. One learns something from everybody. Be it your Guru ji, your fans or co-artists. This learning process has been very special for me.

Do you have any particular music project you have wanted to work on or be a part of?
I have always wanted to work with the legendary A.R.Rehman. , I've would want to to associate myself with any project that he's a part of. I wonder what he eats or how his brain works that he composes such amazing music.

Anything else you want to say?

My message to all the aspiring youth out there - Live your life. Let no one else determine your life and watch out for Shweta Subram!

Watch for Shweta on March 12 this month. She is performing for Canadian Music Week.
http://www.shweta.ca/

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter

Creating Unity, Cutting Across Communities