High Lights

StarBuzz Online - Toronto

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Tia’s talk with Vikas Kohli, Music Producer and Creator of FatLabs

















Vikas Kohli, music producer and creator of FatLabs, has over 20 years of composing experience across a variety of genres from punk, jazz, hip-hop, and pop to country,
metal, rock’n’roll and Bollywood soundtracks. Kohli has worked on projects with Cappadonna (Wu-Tang Clan), Mika Singh, Moka Only, Justin Nozuka, Tef & Don and
The Responsibles. When asked how he maneuvers effortlessly between so many genres, Kohli simply states, “I just like music. Don’t you?



Where were you born and raised?
I was born in the small suburb of Nepean, just outside Ottawa where I played soccer in snow one foot deep. In the 90's I moved to Mississauga and realized the wonders of an infinite suburban sprawl.

How do you think the environment you were in and your surroundings shaped what you do now? It's a tie between nature & nurture. Everyone in my family has a natural affinity to both art & mathematics and both of those have been unavoidable in my life. As an Indian growing up in Canada, I watched Bollywood movies at home and then went outside to cause trouble with my punk band. Throw all that in a blender and out comes the smoothie of what I do.

What led you to realize music is what you wanted to do?
Music makes people feel good and who wouldn't want to spend their lives immersed in that?

How do you think you are impacting the south asian community?
I'd like to think that the community is impacting me. I started in the music biz by writing and producing mainstream rock and urban artists. After the artists I worked with charted on mainstream radio stations across Canada, the NRI artists and Bollywood artists started contacting FatLabs and the local desi community in general has shown me such love. At the end of the day, I help artists make their music and put soundtracks to their films. Without the artists, I wouldn't have anything to do but watch re-runs of Maury Povitch all day.

What are you currently working on?
I just finished writing the soundtrack for a feature length documentary called "My Father, The Terrorist" and there are a few other North American film projects lined up for this year and another Bollywood film project.


As for music, I'm working on some dance songs with Rebecca Nazareth, calypso songs with Joseph Pilarski, pop songs with Jennifer Abadesso and some Hindi songs with Shweta. This year I'm also launching a program with some partners that will help new artists by giving them a CD, photo-shoot and music video all at once. The idea is to get them off the ground and put their music in front of the audience.

What do you have in mind for the near future an where o you see yourself after 5 years?I've learned that no matter how much I plan, I never know where I'll end up and what great projects I'll work on. All I hope for is that I can go to the movies or turn on the radio and always catch one of the artists that I've worked with.

Careerwise what is the one thing that has been very special to you?
Years ago, I was telling my friend that one of the songs I worked on just got picked up by one of the mainstream FM radio stations. We were in his car and he turned to me and asked, "So if I turn on the radio, will I hear your song right now?". I told him that wasn't likely. Anyway, he turns on the radio in his car and the song happened to be playing. I don't know if that was the coolest thing or the time one of the songs I produced was performed live at the IIFAs in front of Amitabh Bachchan.

Do you have any particular project you have wanted to work on or be a part of?
According to Meyers-Briggs, I like to seek new experiences. So for all the artistsAny message that you want to give to our readers. out there --- bring it on! FatLabs is waiting.
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

1 comment :

  1. blog walking, friends greetings...
    please visit my blog n follow me...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter

Creating Unity, Cutting Across Communities